The following might help you plan your upcoming wedding, or at least act as a 'prompt' to be sure you've thought of everything. It may not cover all you want, because every wedding is different, but it's a start.
I'm happy to go through this with you if you would like someone to discuss this with, or to help you highlight items which are "a must" and which are "maybes".
6 - 12 months before The Big Day:
- Think about the style of wedding you'd both like.
- Discuss the best time of year for you.
- Settle on your preferred Wedding Day, with an alternative Second Choice.
- Contact your chosen venue.
- Book it, in writing and with a deposit.
- Choose and book a Marriage Celebrant you like and feel comfortable with.
- Find your original Birth Certificate and Passport.
- Find your Divorce papers or Death Certificate if you were previously married or your former partner is now deceased.
- Choose a Wedding Co-ordinator (if you're having one).
- Choose your bridesmaids and best man
- Decide on your wedding gown, suits, bridesmaids' outfits (and shoes!).
- Book a Caterer (if your chosen venue doesn't have a restaurant).
- Order the wedding cake (if not coming from the caterer)
- Book the florist, discuss your needs and what flowers will be in season.
- Book the music (CD's for the ceremony and a band for the reception?).
- Book the photographer.
- Plan and book your honeymoon. (Check your passport if going overseas).
- Set a realistic budget for all of the above.
- Start compiling a guest list.
Between 4 and 6 months out
- Choose and purchase your wedding rings.
- Organise a Gift List or Bridal Registry at your favourite store.
- Book a room for your wedding night.
- Reserve accommodation for guests.
- Reserve rental equipment (tables, chairs, marquee, decorations).
- Confirm honeymoon reservations (in writing with a deposit).
- Finalise the invitation list.
- Select stationery (invitations and thank you notes) and have them printed.
- Discuss the words for your ceremony with your Marriage Celebrant.
- Arrange all your transport for The Day.
- Finalise the menu with your caterer (or venue restaurant).
- Choose gifts for the bridal party.
Between 2 and 3 months out
- Send out wedding invitations.
- Set date for final fitting of gown, suit, dresses.
- Finalise the guest list.
- Confirm floral arrangement with your florist.
- Confirm booking with your photographer, cars, musicians.
- Look at your Reception seating plan.
- Discuss final details of the menu with your caterer/restaurant.
- Choose readings, poems, music and wedding Vows.
- Discuss ceremony details with your Marriage Celebrant.
- Choose and book your hairdresser and make-up artist.
- Have dress fitting (with shoes, accessories and lingerie).
One week prior
- Pick up the suits.
- Pick up the cake.
- Pick up the dress (or have it delivered).
- Pack for your honeymoon.
- Confirm final times for hairdresser, make-up artist.
- Confirm arrival times for photographer and musicians.
- Confirm arrival time for cars (from home to wedding and on to reception).
- Confirm honeymoon arrangements (inc: transport from reception to hotel)
- Assign responsibilities to your wedding party.
- Prepare payment envelopes for suppliers (e.g: cars, DJ's)and allocate someone to hand them over.
One day prior
- Have manicure and pedicure.
- Relax !
- Go to bed early !