"We're getting married!"
That short statement carries such love, hope and anticipation. When you say it, everyone smiles with joy for you. So what's involved? Let's look at some of the procedures we'll go through together to make it happen:
First, let's get together - your place or mine is fine. After we get to know each other a little, I'll talk you through the basic legal requirements. For example:
- I'll need to see both of your Birth Certificates (originals, notcopies).
- If either of you is not an Australian Citizen, a current Passport.
- If one of you has been married before, I'll need to sight the Decree Absolute/Divorce Certificate.
- If by chance, one of you is a widow or widower, I'll need to see your previous partner's Death Certificate.
- If either of you was born overseas, it'll be your Birth Certificate or current Passport.
Once I've seen all that, then we get on to planning your wedding day. First we'll fill out the Notice of Intended Marriage, which has to be lodged with me at least one month (but not more than 18 months) prior to your marriage. I keep that until your wedding day when I lodge it, together with your Marriage Certificate with the NSW Dept of Births, Deaths and Marriages
Your wedding can be anywhere you choose and at any time. (At home with the family, in a park with 100 friends, on a beach, just the two of you watching the sun set, or maybe on a headland at night looking up at the stars.) Yes - be different!
Once we're on the same wavelength, we'll talk about the ceremony itself. How long it will run for, who says what, the music, poems (would you prefer a love sonnet by Shakespeare, or an Apache Blessing?), we'll brainstorm all of it.
I'll lend you one of my ceremony 'Ideas Folders' which you can keep until the next time we meet. It contains dozens of ceremonies (from low-key and traditional, to petals and wine, up to a full-scale family affair) Whatever works for the two of you.
Call: 0416 098 908, or email me: email@example.com